What’s a travel blogger without a bucket list?
I think the internet may be tired of bucket lists, especially related to travel. You want to see Machu Picchu! Go to Paris! Swim with dolphins! We get it already.
But there’s something cathartic to writing a travel bucket list—the more overzealous, the better. It gives you something to dream about, to save up for, to keep going through the daily grind for. There’s a difference between saying you’ll go to the Great Wall of China someday and making the plan by writing it down.
A travel bucket list is a personal promise to yourself, which are really the most sacred kind of promise you can make. It’s a goal that one day, whether that’s tomorrow or next week or next year, you are going to do these things and make your life truly worthwhile.
Yes, travel bucket lists have become overdone. Yes, they’re always overambitious. But isn’t that the point? What’s the point of making a list of regular things that you could do without any planning? Beyond just a pledge to yourself, it’s also a fantastic way to keep your future itinerary focused on what’s most important to you.
I myself have made a travel bucket list that I’ve decided to share with you all. It is by no means comprehensive, final or at all complete, but I hope that by sharing my list I can inspire the rest of you to start planning for your dreams!
My personal travel bucket list:
- See the Seven Wonders of the World (even though that’s not really a set list)
- Learn to scuba dive
- See the Great Barrier Reef (before it’s gone 😢)
- Visit a glowworm cave in Waitomo, New Zealand
- Eat street food in Southeast Asia
- Go to Qish, Iran
- See theZhangjiajie andZhangye National Parks in China
- Pay my respects to the victims of the Holocaust
- Tour every single Smithsonian Museum
- Visit Yosemite National Park
- Snorkel in the Silfra Fissure in Iceland
- Hike ice caves in Iceland
- Soak in hot springs in Iceland
- Basically do everything in Iceland
- Backpack around Europe
- Zipline over Thai jungles
- Spend Halloween in Romania with Dracula
- Do a solo trip around the world
- Float in the Dead Sea
- Hike/swim/dive/do whatever in Hawaii
- Catch ahot air balloon in Cappadocia
- Kayak to the marble caves in Chile
- Scuba Dive the Big Blue Hole in Belize
- Roadtrip around Scotland and Ireland
- Visit every US state
- Hike up to the Grand Canyon on New Years
- Climb a 14er
- Window shop Christmas markets around Europe
- Watch the northern lights for hours
- See as many beautiful sights as possible
Am I going to make it to all of them? I have absolutely no idea, but I don’t think that’s the point. I write these down and share them with you as inspiration, for you and for myself. These are the things that keep you going in life and give you something to look forward to.
There’s no way to know where I’ll go in my life, but I hope to use this list as a roadmap. I encourage you all to sit down and write your own, and I wish you the best at scratching each of them off!
What’s on your travel bucket list? Let me know in the comments!